A garage is a great addition to any home as it can protect your cars and can also be used as a storage area. Aside from that, you can use it as a workspace, as well. However, if there’s something you do not want or need in your garage, that is bugs and pests. Sadly, bugs and pests seem to worm their way into garages. So, the question is, how can you keep bugs and pests out of your garage?
Infestation is a common problem encountered by people with garages at home. In fact, no matter what kind of property you own, you’re likely to experience it sooner or later. And when it’s left unattended, it can lead to even bigger problems. If you do not want to experience infestation in your garage, we are here to help you.
Remember that infestation is preventable, and you just need to take initial steps to prevent it from happening. Today, we are giving you a guide on how you can keep your garage bug and pest free.
Why are Bugs and Pests Attracted to the Garage?
You might be wondering why bugs and pests choose your garage over the other parts of your home. Well, the garage can provide them with the same amenities as other parts of the house, and this includes food and warmth. But one of the things that attract them the most is the accessibility of garages. Vehicles and people tend to move in and out of the garage often. It means that the constant opening of the garage door allows bugs and pests to enter easily.
When bugs and pests enter your garage successfully, most of them will make themselves at home in boxes, corners, and as well as wall voids. Since the garage is not cleaned often like the other parts of the house, this makes it easy for bugs and pests to hide and survive along with the clutter.
Even if you don’t spend much time in your garage, an infestation in this area is still troublesome. It’s because some bugs and pests are dangerous and can transmit viruses. And some can chew on items in your garage like clothing, paper goods, and upholstery.
Common Bugs and Pests in the Garage
Here are some of the most common bugs and pests that usually stay in garages:
- Silverfish: Silverfish are known to infest all parts of the house, but they are usually fond of garages. These pests can enter the garage by sneaking under the doors or being brought via infested items. Once they enter your garage, they will feed on paper items, clothing, food, and even other silverfish of their kind. The infestation of silverfish can grow quickly because females can lay up to three eggs in a day.
- Crickets: Crickets usually invade garages during hot and dry days. They can go inside garages through their jumping abilities. When they get in, they can damage fabrics and clothing kept in your garage, no matter how high they are stored on.
- Mice: Mice invade garages during the winter season to seek shelter. These pests can build nests in storage boxes and as well as wall voids. They can also sneak in your car for extra warmth. When they get in your car, they might chew wires, too. They can squeeze easily through holes, making any garage that is not properly sealed a great target.
- Spiders: Garages are more susceptible to spiders because it is where they can feed on smaller insects. Once they enter your garage, they will start spinning webs and laying eggs, as well.
- Flies: Flies are usually attracted to buildings by air currents and odors. When the garage door is open, flies can easily enter. You can find them resting on any surface in your garage. It can be on walls, floors, and windowsills.
- Ground Beetles: You can often find ground beetles hiding underneath stones during the day. They are nocturnal species, meaning they are awake and active at night. They can enter under poorly sealed garage doors or fly through open windows.
How to Keep Your Garage Bug and Pest Free
Here are effective tips we can recommend for you to keep your garage bug and pest free:
Keep your garage clean
Since garages are warm and dark places, that makes it attractive for bugs and pests. Therefore, you always need to keep your garage clean. If you do not want bugs and pests in your garage, you need to clean the area completely. Start cleaning from bottom to top. You also need to make sure that every corner is covered. To take a fresh look at your garage, you can also take out everything. If there are wet areas, you can use a fan to dry them up as it can also attract bugs.
Keep your garage organized
Another thing you can do is to take a look at your garage and rethink how you are using it. If you are using your garage as storage aside from keeping your car, then you need to keep it organized to avoid bugs and pests. It’s because a cluttered garage is usually the main cause of infestation. It’s better to have smart shelving in your garage and keep items off the ground as much as possible. The trash in your garage should also be well-contained and sealed tightly to prevent rodents from munching on them.
Always keep your garage door closed
Keeping the garage door closed is probably the simplest way to keep your garage bug and pest free. However, it is usually forgotten by a lot of people. This can help in keeping larger pests out like rodents, and as well as squirrels and raccoons. If you need to go in and out of the garage, make sure that you won’t keep the door open for too long.
Fill the cracks
It is also important to inspect your entire garage for any cracks or holes. If you find some, fill them up because they can be pathways used by pests in getting into your garage. You can also look for chew marks and other signs of current infestations to make sure. You can also replace the threshold and the weather stripping in your garage because worn-out ones might let bugs and pests in easily.
Place some traps
If you suspect that there are larger pests in your garage, you can also set up some traps to catch them. Place them in spots where you can check them easily. When you set up traps in your garage, you also need to make sure that you check them regularly to avoid decomposed pests in your garage.
Use pesticide sprays and powders
If there’s a current infestation in your garage, you can also use organic pesticides inside and outside as they can also help in keeping out pests. Spray or apply pesticides on areas where pests and bugs can enter. Just make sure that you are following the instructions for whatever product you are using.
Call a pest control company
If your garage is infested by larger rodents, and lots of other bugs and pests, then maybe it’s time to call a pest control St George Utah for help. They can help you in getting rid of bugs and pests in your garage fast.
Do regular cleanups and inspection
After organizing your garage and making sure that it is bug and pest free, you need to do regular cleanups and inspections from time to time. You can do this once or twice a year to make sure that your garage is in good condition and that there are no infestations. This will also help you in keeping your garage organized.
These are some of the best tips we can give to keep your garage bug and pest free. When you have a safe and pest-impenetrable garage, you can make sure that it will bot house any unexpected visitor in any season. Cleanliness is one of the most important keys in preventing an infestation in the garage. Therefore, if you want a bug and pest free garage, then you might want to start cleaning and organizing it now.